*Firstly, be aware of any injuries you have, and if necessary, leave out of the relaxation that particular area of your body*
I would recommend choosing some relaxing music to listen to whilst you do this exercise (but it is your choice.)
- To begin, sit, or lie in a comfortable position
- Close your eyes (if you are uncomfortable with this and/or you tend to have negative thoughts when your eyes are shut, leave them open)
- Start at your head - scrunch up your face as tight as you possibly can fora slow count of 5, then release slowly.
- Moving down to your shoulders, lift them as high as you possibly can towards your ears.Hold for a slow count of 5 and then slowly release
- Arms – bend your arms, tensing your biceps as hard as you can for a count of 5, then slowly release
- Stomach – tense it as hard as you can for a slow count of 5, then slowly release
- Buttocks – tense your bottom as hard as you can for a count of 5, then slowly release
- Thighs (muscle above knee) – tense as tightly as possible, hold for a count of 5, then slowly release
- Calf Muscle (muscle above heel) – lift your toes as far towards the ceiling as possible, hold for 5 seconds then slowly release
- Lastly, tense all these muscles at the same time, again for a slow count of 5, then slowly release.
- Stay where you are for a few minutes, savouring the feeling of being less tense and stress free (hopefully!)
YOU CAN PRACTICE THIS EXERCISE ANYWHERE AND ANYTIME YOU FEEL THE NEED TO – THE MORE TIMES YOU PRACTICE RELAXATION, THE MORE LIKELY IT WILL WORK *GOOD LUCK*